At the start of each HighGear software upgrade, the upgrade tool creates a backup of your HighGear database in the database server’s default backup directory. If you receive this error it means that the backup directory you have configured for your database server does not exist.
If you get this error message, the first thing to do is to obtain the location of the default database backup directory. To do that follow these steps:
- Log into your database server.
- Click on “Start” and then select “Run.”
- In the box that opens, type “regedit” without the quotes.
- Navigate to the registry key: KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\MSSQLServer\MSSQLServer
- Look at the setting for the key “BackupDirectory”
That is the location HighGear software uses to backup the database before an upgrade. From here you can ensure that folder exists and that your database has access to that folder. Alternately, you can change that setting to point to a location that has enough space to perform a database backup and is accessible by your database server.
After you have corrected this issue, simple re-run the HighGear upgrade.